For every order we generate, we donate $1 to the World Conservation Organization (WCO).
The sunflower (Helianthus annuus) is an annual plant with a sizeable daisy-like flower face. Its scientific name comes from the Greek words helios (“sun”) and anthos (“flower”). The flowers come in many colors (yellow, blue,purple,black,white,green,pink,red, orange, maroon, brown), but they are commonly bright yellow with brown centers that ripen into heavy heads filled with seeds. Sunflowers make excellent cut flowers, and many attract bees, birds, and butterflies.
Sunflowers are heliotropic, which means that they turn their flowers to follow the movement of the Sun across the sky from east to west and then return at night to face the east, ready again for the morning sun.
A moistish environment is all the seeds need, there are no need for too much water or fertilizer in the germination.Generally 3 to 4 weeks it will sprout.
When to Plant Sunflowers
- It’s best to sow sunflower seeds directly into the garden (or outdoor containers) after the danger of spring frost has passed, anytime after soils have warmed to at least 50°F (10°C).
- In the northern half of the U.S. and in Canada, this will fall between April and mid-June. In the South, this will probably occur in mid-March or early April.
- Sunflowers dislike having their roots disturbed, so we recommend direct sowing instead of transplanting.
Planting Sunflower Seeds
- Sunflowers should be planted 1 to 1½ inches deep and about 6 inches apart after the soil has thoroughly warmed. If you wish, you can plant multiple seeds and thin them to the strongest contenders when the plants are six inches tall.
- Give plants plenty of room, especially for low-growing varieties that will branch out. Make rows about 30 inches apart. (For very small varieties, plant closer together.)
- A light application of fertilizer mixed in at planting time will encourage strong root growth to protect them from blowing over in the wind.
- Experiment with plantings staggered over 5 to 6 weeks to keep enjoying continuous blooms.
- If you see birds scratching around for the seeds, spread netting over the planted area until seeds germinate.
💳 Shop with ease and choose your favorite payment method:
🌐 Choose a payment method: During checkout, you can connect your PayPal account, credit card, debit card, or bank account. We support multiple payment methods, ensuring you have flexible payment options.
🔐 Secure Login: If you choose PayPal, you can securely log into your PayPal account. If using a credit card, you can choose Credit Card Express for quick payment. Enter your payment information, making sure it is accurate.
🛍 Submit order: After completing product selection, click Submit order. Next, you will be directed to PayPal to complete the transaction. If you choose to pay by credit card, you will see the option to "Pay with credit or debit card."
🏠 Confirm Address: Confirm or enter your address information on PayPal to ensure your order will be shipped to your desired address. Click "Submit" to continue.
💸 Payment Processing: Your payment will be processed securely. After successful payment, the system will send a detailed payment invoice to your email to confirm your purchase.
If you'd like to check out by credit card, click on PayPal and select "Pay with debit or credit card" for express checkout.
✨ Simple, safe and convenient, start your happy shopping trip! 🛒🌐
Gardenerstars sells the finest and freshest seeds in the industry. All we sell is 100% pure seed: no additives, no fillers…EVER! As such, our germination rates far exceed government standards, and when planted according to recognized practices, should provide lasting and satisfying results for years to come.
That said, we can make no explicit guarantees or allowances for circumstances over which we have no control. Bad weather, poor timing, and human error can all lead to unanticipated and unsatisfactory results. As all experienced gardeners are aware, Mother Nature does not guarantee perfection, and neither can we. What we can, and do promise, however, is that the products you purchase from us will be of the highest quality to be found anywhere.
If you have a question or complaint concerning germination, or if you believe the products you received were mislabeled, visit our Refund & Return Policy page for further instructions.